Friday, September 19, 2008

Fruit Flies...

It's finally Friday! I got done with classes at 3:10pm today and then I had to go check on my fruit flies. Yes, that's right, I said I had to go check on my fruit flies. As part of the genetics course that I am in, each student is given a vial of fruit flies with a specific gene mutation. Then it is your job to monitor their life cycle and set up another vial with the new flies that hatch and continue this for a couple months. This way we will learn about the heredity patterns of the gene we are studying in our fruit flies. It's pretty interesting.

As for RA (Resident Assistant) life, things are going pretty well. It is definitely a challenge at times to balance everything you have to do as an RA with school and having a life in general. Even though being an RA is a ton of work, it is soooo much fun! I've already met so many new people in Coate Hall and around campus. Meeting new people and forming those meaningful relationships with them is so worthwhile and rewarding. I've learned so much about others and myself so far this semester that I can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds! :)